Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are a perfect mix of a web page and a mobile app. It’s highly technical, and the new features help you deliver meaningful user experiences for the users as it bridges the gap between a website and a mobile app. In a nutshell, a well-engineered PWA from a professional progressive web app development company will have the skin of a mobile app where the distinguishing features from a website and mobile apps are identified and included to deliver the best user experience.
Experts foresee PWA to be the future, but why?
Let’s look at some facts and figures that explain how PWA makes a difference for businesses:
- The Starbucks PWA has increased daily active users 2x. Orders on the desktop are nearly the same rate as mobile.
- Forbes’ PWA loads in 2.5 seconds on mobile compared to 6.5 seconds for its previous site. Impressions per visit are up 10%.
- Pinterest rebuilt their mobile site as a PWA and core engagements increased by 60%. They also saw a 44% increase in user-generated ad revenue and time spent on the site has increased by 40%.
- Uber’s PWA was designed to be fast even on 2G. The core app is only 50k gzipped and takes less than 3 seconds to load on 2G networks.
- Tinder cut load times from 11.91 seconds to 4.69 seconds with their new PWA. The PWA is 90% smaller than Tinder’s native Android app. User engagement is up across the board on the PWA.
- Trivago saw an increase of 150% for people who add its PWA to the home screen. Increased engagement led to a 97% increase in click-outs to hotel offers. Users who go offline while browsing can continue to access the site and 67% continue to browse the site when they come back online.
- Twitter developed Twitter Lite (their PWA) to deliver a more robust experience, with explicit goals for instant loading, user engagement, and lower data consumption. Twitter achieved:
- 65% increase in pages per session
- 75% increase in Tweets sent
- 20% decrease in bounce rate
1. Native App Look and Feel
We know that the web app manifest in your JSON file helps you achieve the native look of the progressive web app. For instance, let’s assume you download a mobile app from one of the app stores. As soon as the app is installed, you will see an app icon on your mobile app. As a result, it induces the users to interact more with mobile apps than websites.
In the case of PWA, the web app manifest helps in carrying out all user interactions, and the metadata describes how the app has to be displayed to the end-users. We can easily accomplish this using the JSON file, where we can easily customize elements of your app, optimize app icons, splash screen, and orientations.
2. Provides Best User Experience using Service Workers
Generally, Service Workers run in the background and manages a plethora of tasks on the back burner that don’t require users’ presence or attention. The service workers can be used in both PWAs and modern web apps. Below are 2 of the important features of services workers:
One of the compelling features that forced businesses to shed some light on PWAs is their ability to work offline. Thanks to service workers. The service workers help you cache the application shell, and it loads instantly when the user comes back to browse the app. This feature takes the user experience of your PWA to the next level. As a result, the users can’t differentiate between the online and offline modes. However, the dynamic content will be refreshed when the device has a stable connection.
Service Workers help you with the background sync feature. No matter whether you make a call during the online or offline mode, service workers help you respond to the request as soon as a connection is established. For instance, let’s assume you’re sending a text to someone and you notice you don’t have a stable connection. However, once a stable connection is established, the text will be automatically delivered without you having to manually hit on the Retry button.
3. Reliable Performance
We know PWAs are fast, reliable, engaging, and powerful. But how are they built in that way? You can incorporate these qualities by leveraging the application shell architecture approach. This architecture helps you deliver reliable performance to your users even on a slow connection. Below are some of the advantages of this architecture.
According to the application shell architecture, shell and content are the two parts of the app. The least app content required to start engaging users is termed shell, and other dynamic elements that require an internet connection are termed content. In a nutshell, the shell ensures a fast and reliable user experience by caching the content.
4. Single Technology for Web and Mobile Platforms
In this digital era, developers are known for their niches, such as web app developers, mobile app developers, etc. It is so because of their expertise in such technologies.
5. Enhance Security and Transparent Access to Device Capabilities
PWA bundles in a transport layer security. All the users’ sensitive information will be encrypted while transmitting the data, and they can be decrypted only using a private key stored in the server. Hence, installing an SSL certificate on the PWA’s website is mandatory.
Moreover, you can’t hide malicious codes inside PWAs, and there’s no risk of the app accessing your hardware without your permission. Periodically updating the frameworks and libraries used to build the PWA massively mitigates the risks.
PWA has several features including, reliability, seamless UX, speed, etc., which we expect out of the web and mobile apps. Since you don’t have to worry about the frameworks or languages to build a PWA, it is relatively easy to develop and less time-consuming when compared to native mobile app development.
Also, the budget allocated for PWA will be less, market penetration will be more, and optimize for search engines when it comes to the business front. So, don’t dwell in a dilemma to go with PWAs when you’re planning for a web or mobile solution.
Siam Computing has a team of elite developers who specialize in helping companies develop progressive web apps with perfect UX design and take them to market. Our team members are more than just developers – they’re specialists who work together to deliver a custom solution perfectly designed to achieve your specific objectives. Businesses love our work because of the in-depth market and competitor research with which we help enhance the user experience of the app idea. For more information, you can contact us or send your queries to email@example.com.